Knobs on Megalithic Wall at Cusco

IanMcKenzie

Knobs on Megalithic Wall at Cusco

Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:40 pm

This video explains the knobs on the megalithic wall at Cusco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZWmnaLzJqE
Has anyone gone to other sites which have these knobs (there are many such sites) and checked to see if they also can tell when the winter and summer solstices will occur?
Or the equinoxes?
Apologies if this has been dealt with on the old forum.

Tone

Re: Knobs on Megalithic Wall at Cusco

Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:31 pm

Hey Ian..
Good to see you've joined us here..
Those protrusions have always bothered me big-time..
I think they have been discussed a little on the old forum..
including by me.. but looking at the title of your link, I dont think it has been posted before..
You know what I suspected (a bit) that they were remnants of a bag mark.. where the "stones" of sacsayhuaman? (cant be bothered to google the proper name :) ) were actually big bags of tightly filled geo-polymer, the bags being cut away after they'd set.. but it doesn't work for at least two reasons I think.. firstly.. someone would've discovered the remains of a "bag" at least once, unless they were removed at the precise point of correct hardness and the stones smoothed over while still soft enough to do that.. but in that case.. why not also smooth over the "bag" nozzle marks.. (the protusions)
I've downloaded the video.. and will watch later, I hope it gives a better explanation than my dead-end speculations..:D
Thanks Ian.

Metaluna

Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:51 pm

Hi, I personally think it has nothing to do with what that guy said. The original post, not Tone. Just because he tries to make sense of it on one isolated wall doesn't do anything to help explain all the knobs on other stone walls worldwide.

I think it has to do with the construction technique and is just an unintentional occurence, a glitch perhaps in the formation of the blocks, or as a mean to hold the blocks together, mortise and tenon joints. And the reason we see them randomly on walls and partial structures is because they were reused by a later civilization, which makes sense up to a point, it still doesn't explain the precision of the construction however, how can you reuse stuff and make it perfectly fit.

Hi, Here is an interesting take on the knobs. Which I sort of agree with.

and then there is this, which has some validity as well I think.
Polygonal Cement Bags & Powdered Stone Mix

And now for our viewing enjoyment...47 minutes and 38 seconds of various knobs.
Dreams are real while they last, can more be said of life.

IanMcKenzie

Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:12 am

The video about the builders using cement bags is very compelling, imo. In some other cases shown by Charles Kos I think that machining may have been used to make particular holes to fit other machines or objects into, not just other wall stones. The best example is at the end of his video.
In terms of the original video and the knobs as markers for solstices/equinoxes, that argument would be much more powerful if it could be shown to work at other sites.
That is something that is not too hard to check so hopefully someone will make the effort to do so.

Metaluna

Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:33 pm

Good theories that work for some places and then not for others. But I do think the star alignment is off base. The answers are going to be found in the rocks eventually, somebody will have a eureka moment one of these days.
I do like the cement bag idea and also geopolymer in a lot of cases as well. Mortise and tenon joints make partial sense as well.

Not a wall, but fascinating.
What a puzzle!?! This looks like the imprint of a wall of a building and the "knobs" are actually mineralized wood beams.
85691794-1-1024x559.jpg
85691794-1-1024x559.jpg (178.81 KiB) Viewed 395 times
Dreams are real while they last, can more be said of life.

IanMcKenzie

Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:53 am

That is indeed possible Metaluna. I watch so many videos nowadays that I cannot remember which one it was but I saw one which showed similar protrusions and the narrator claimed that the protrusions were the result of scaffolding being used in the walls construction.