The Veiled Statues

admin
Site Admin

The Veiled Statues

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:48 pm

From Metaluna:

Well here's a great explanation for us.

’The Veiled Vestal’’ by Raffaele Monti, mid-19th century
You look at these statues, whose faces are covered by a semi-transparent veil, and wonder how this could ever have been made with simple stone. The secret is in the marble that was used. The block that eventually became the sculpture had two layers — one of them more transparent, and one thicker than the other. Monti worked the marble, preserving the normal surface texture, while carving along the edge separating the solid part from the transparent one. This helped create the veil effect.

Transparent marble, well mercy me!

Here is a blog post that has a really nice selection of pictures of some of the veiled statues, but man, google veiled marble statues and see all that come up. I've been spending hours on them. I think somebody had a 3 D printer, these are impossibly, too perfectly, life like. Pay particular attention to lace and stitches etc on the clothing and edges of the veils.

http://bytesdaily.blogspot.com/2014/03/ ... veils.html

---------------------------
Responses:

Haven't checked out your links yet..
But I always thought the veils were created using fine cloth soaked in a marble-llke solution which then hardens..
Quite a simple solution.. the "twin" statues though.. how the..?

Metaluna
Posts 66
01 Jan 2018, 23:40 #3
Tone wrote:
> Haven't checked out your links yet..
> But I always thought the veils were created using fine cloth soaked in a
> marble-llke solution which then hardens..
> Quite a simple solution.. the "twin" statues though.. how the..?
Well hey I never heard that before, that sounds possible. It would explain why the cloth looks so perfectly real. I'll have to get back to those later, I'm busy right now watching panoramic views of the world.

Tone
Posts 350
02 Jan 2018, 22:51 #4
Oh my god..!

Some of those pictures you linked to are even more amazing than the ones in Sylvies "impossible statues.."

The sculptures further down with the finger pressure marks are just astounding.. I have real difficulty in believing a human being could carve them..
Sylvie hinted that the statues she shows in "impossible statues.." are akin to 3d printing..
I cannot think of another way to do that unless you had a way to turn people into stone..
They are beyond genius..

Metaluna
Posts 66
03 Jan 2018, 00:16 #5
Tone wrote:
> Oh my god..!
>
> Some of those pictures you linked to are even more amazing than the ones in
> Sylvies "impossible statues.."
>
> The sculptures further down with the finger pressure marks are just
> astounding.. I have real difficulty in believing a human being could carve
> them..
> Sylvie hinted that the statues she shows in "impossible
> statues.." are akin to 3d printing..
> I cannot think of another way to do that unless you had a way to turn
> people into stone..
> They are beyond genius..

Yeah what he said! I do so agree, they are real, too real. These are a whole other level of skill or technology, after you look at those statues, even with out the veils, they are beyond brilliant.Then just go look at other statues, they are still outstanding, but many lack this level of realism. They look like real people who were dipped in something, well or 3-d printed.

Yeah man oh man those finger indentations are pretty well done to say the least.

But if you look at the last 3 pictures on that link blog post, they just aren't of the same caliber as all the others, they are quite good, but for me, they don't have the same perfect realness to them. I think you will see it too. So who am I, art critic for the ages. LOL
Forum Admin

admin
Site Admin

Re: The Veiled Statues

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:12 pm

Forum Admin

admin
Site Admin

Re: The Veiled Statues

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:41 pm

Article on Vigilant Citizen on The Sansevero Chapel and its statues: https://vigilantcitizen.com/sinistersit ... ro-chapel/
Forum Admin